Sunday, July 5, 2020

Landing Gear Fairings (Jan - Mar 2020)

Gear Fairings (Jan - Mar 2020)

Once the gear was installed, I ended up doing the landing gear fairings as well because the plane was still on the sawhorses. I didn't want to have to lift the plane later on once the engine was installed, so this made it an easy decision. I also don't have my avionics or engine yet, so nothing better to do. Fiberglass, yay!













Aeropoxy Light to smooth the transition between forward and aft halves of the fairings. Sands very easily and left a perfectly smooth fit with very few pinholes.











Before trimming the nose gear opening.

In order to have proper clearance when the nose wheel is turned to full deflection, a little more material has to be removed from the opening in the front half of the nose gear fairing. It ended up being close to a circular opening. My initial assessment of the contact areas was geometrically incorrect, so you can see in the photo below that I had to glass a few pieces back in to minimize the open area.


From the front after complete.

















No comments:

Post a Comment