Sunday, July 5, 2020

Engine (May 2020)

Engine (May 2020)

Lycoming took about 10 months to get my YIO-390 Thunderbolt engine to me. I will say I didn't expect the lead time to be quite that long, but in the end, everything worked out fine. I wasn't desperately in need of the engine's arrival since I was still working on avionics, but I'm glad I ordered when I did. Side note, I elected to use the standard fuel servo and did not get an FM-150. I also ordered the FWF hose kit from Aircraft Specialty based on other builder's reviews of their quality and service. Scott has been EXTREMELY responsive and helpful with the few questions I've had. Highly recommended.



I rented an engine hoist from a local tool supplier in Phoenix. $40 for 24 hours sounded WAY better than buying one from Harbor Freight and all the assembly and reselling hassle required for that option.



Before the engine went on the mount I attached easy-to-access fittings to the back of the engine IAW the plans. I elected to use the standard AN (aluminum fittings) here instead of steel. I switched to steel fittings for the oil cooler, but stock for just about everything else.






I had another RV-14 builder, Scott D., come over and help me with mounting the engine. We both studied up the night before on some techniques for the process and were ready to go once the engine was off the pallet. Very little hassle ensued and we had everything bolted together in about 90 minutes. Then we stood back and enjoyed the view! Thanks for the help, Scott!




No comments:

Post a Comment