Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Wing Attachment

 Nov 2020

Once I got all the parts back from the painter, I took a few weeks of leave from work and got right to attaching the wings. Once again, my oldest son came in handy in getting the job done. I placed the wings on two sawhorses, got them lined up with the main spar and then had my son tilt the wingtip up to get the drift pin holes aligned per the plans. It was surprisingly easy to get the drift pins in. I made four total so that I could get both wings on and then feed in the main eight bolts later on. I left the bolts in the freezer for about a month to hopefully aid getting them into their final resting place. Most were very easy to insert, with only light coercion required with a rubber mallet. A few others required a little more influence, but still nothing unreasonable. Getting both wings on with the drift pins only took about an hour and a half; not bad at all.



Once the wings were on, I was finally able to feed all the wiring through both wings to get everything hooked up to the back of the panel. That took me an afternoon or so, then I went about verifying connectivity and cleaning up the wiring bundles with zip ties.

 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment